By Sarah Alexander
When we think of the word “power”, it is easy for us to have many negative connotations come to mind. We think of power as being synonymous with force, strength, control, competition and a commanding or domineering attitude that “makes” people do a certain thing. This attitude is very masculine in its orientation and appears to be encapsulated by people who are very driven in their outlook, and who want to retain their position of superiority, regardless of the effect this has on others. As a result we have largely come to fear power and fear people, organisations or governments who appear to wield such power. Yet, it has been obvious from current world events that this old dictatorial, suppressive form of power is coming to an end and a new way is emerging. This way is guided by our innate Spiritual Intelligence, which is encouraging us all to stand in our Spiritual Power.
If we go back through the ages in Western Europe we find that coupled with this male domination is the old fashioned belief that women are the “weaker sex”, the ones who should stay at home and bring up the children while the men go out and do the “real work.” Women who do just that have been led to feel that because they do not contribute economically to the household and the world, they are less valuable and the contributions that they make are not really that important. This belief that women are weaker has unfortunately been supported by male sexual abuse, threats and often violence. They have been led women to think and feel that they are less valuable, less worthy and most importantly, powerless. Also women feel that if they are to enter the “real world” they must try to be like men, act like men and dress like men so that they feel part of the male oriented society.
When women did stand in their power in the Middle Ages they were deemed to be witches, heretics and dangerous people who were then condemned to torture, execution or burning at the stake. For about 600 years it was unsafe to stand up for what you believed in if it differed to the opinions of the ruling church or the State. As a result, we tend to favour the masculine approach to power and when demonstrating our power we based it upon logic, rational thinking, taking control, and dominance.
It is important to realise that there is another way of acting and being in the world that is just as powerful and yet incorporates the qualities of love, softness, kindness, intuition and creativity. This other way embraces the feminine principle of power that can be actually far more effective. It bases its power, not on the material world that is perceived through our senses, but on its connection to the spiritual world in which we are all powerful, abundant and limitless. The only shift that is really required to connect to this spiritual world is a shift in thinking. The more we are able to identify with this world, the world of ‘spirit identification’ as it is known, the more real it becomes for us and we are able to live in the physical reality, with our thoughts centred in the spiritual reality.
My belief is that this is what we are here to do, so here are some ideas as to how you can embrace this feminine, spiritual leadership and shift your perception:
- Take Responsibility for your Life. We are the creators of our lives and, whether we like it or not, the circumstances of our lives are a result of our unconscious thinking and our innate desire to evolve and grow. We are powerless when we are feeling or acting from a place of being a victim and blaming others for the circumstances we find ourselves in. In any difficult situation it is helpful to ask your inner knowledge “What am I to learn in this situation?” or “What do I need to shift about the way I am being, acting or perceiving in this situation for it to change?” Having received the answer, do your very best to learn the lesson and move beyond the situation. The lesson may be to make you stronger in your ability to have faith, patience, inner security, a sense worthiness or to have a clearer inner connection. All these lessons are guiding you gently to that place of leadership.
- Hold a Vision. People that are powerful keep in mind a clear vision of themselves as leaders. This vision comes not from a list of things they wish to achieve for themselves, but from an inner sense of knowing that emanates from deep within them. The vision often comes to them when they ask the Universe “what do you want me to achieve?” The Universe then gives them a vision in response to their prayer. With that vision, they relax and focus on allowing that vision to manifest rather than making it happen. They take action to create that vision by being guided to act at the right time, and if there is no action to take, they accept that and remain in trust that when the timing is right, Universal energies will support their action. In effect, they work in total harmony with Universal energies to manifest their leadership vision.
- Combining Your Psychology with God’s Power. With every thought you think, you can either be connected to the Truth within you, which says you are perfect, or, to the ego’s beliefs you hold about yourself which emphasize your imperfections, limitations and lack. When we connect to the inner Truth within us, it enables us to gently let go of our ego-based perceptions and utilise the power of Source to help us move beyond them in every area of our lives. When we allow ourselves to connect with our minds to the Power that is within us, we are truly empowering ourselves. When we act from that Power, we have no choice but to be awe-inspiring. Furthermore, we also have the opportunity to surrender our problems and issues to this Power in the knowledge that this Power is huge compared to our seeming problems and issues. With this surrender we can know that the answer to our problems has already manifested and we can affirm that fact. This ability to think high vibrational thoughts and centre our focus on God’s Power within us, enables us to be truly empowered and to lead in wonderful ways.
- Focus on How You Are Being, not on what you are doing. The masculine approach to power focuses on the material world and what you are doing in it to be successful. It sees success as purely a material thing that can be measured by money, worldly power and possessions. The feminine approach values who you are being in your life. It places huge value on being loving, peaceful, kind, accepting and understanding in your leadership role. It focuses on doing your best in every situation and on what can be given in a situation, not what can be got from a situation. In short, its focus is to be of service in whatever way it can be.
- Shining Your Light. Within each and every one of us is this innate Power which often feels like a light within so effective that it can create transformation for those we come into contact with. Part of our mission here is to be willing to shine our light for others to see and benefit from it. Our individual light is the sum our gifts, talents, skills and the pure Essence that we are here to offer to the world in service to others. We connect with that light through prayer and meditation, and by doing this, the stronger and more effective our light becomes and the more confident we feel about standing in our own Power as a leader.
So in your quiet time, allow yourself to connect with the Power that is within you, for it is this that will make your sense of personal power and leadership grow and increase. And from here, enjoy shining your light.
Sarah Alexander runs 8 week transformational programmes for business owners and leader worldwide and uses Spiritual Intelligence to help them to make the most of their life’s work. She is the author of ‘Spiritual Intelligence in Business: The Eight Pillars of 21st Century Business Success’ and ‘Spiritual intelligence in Leadership: From Manager to Leader in Your Own Life’.
Full details are on www.sarah-alexander.co.uk